This website encompasses the history of the island group of Nusa Penida (Nusa Gede, Nusa Ceningan & Nusa Lembongan), sibling to mainland Bali, Indonesia.
The Bali Starling/Myna (Leucopsar rothschildi) - Bali's fabled mascot, almost at the brink of extinction - named after Lionel Walter Rothschild (1868-1937), found a new home on Nusa Penida in 2006. The discovery of this cheerful and sympathetic bird's new habitat on Nusa Penida was the start of research into its history in 2007.
This website is dedicated to Balinese historian Njoman Djelada, alias G(h)ora Sirikan (1906-1970), a hard-working writer and historian and a charismatic personality, whose talents were not fully appreciated during his lifetime. The author greatly enjoys his 'Sedjarah Bali' (History of Bali) and thinks it deserves the attention of an international audience. You will find this work in various stages published on this site.
Celebrating its 14th anniversary in 2021, this website is best viewed on a desktop computer.
Author G.Dijkman welcomes input, feedback and critial notes, see Facebook page Nusa Penida history. Enjoy!
WANTED - The author is looking for below titles, and would love to hear from you.
- Anello, Barbara (..) - Indonesian Folk Tales - The Yogi in Nusa Penida
- Gara, I Wayan (1984) - Kamus Bahasa Bali Dialek Nusa Penida - Indonesia
- Rahaja, Firman (19..?) - Pengembara dari Nusa Penida - fiction, 128pp, Jakarta Cinta Media
- Suada, I Nyoman (2005) - Selayang Pandang Nusa Penida, ditinjau dari perspektif sejarah, Denpasar: Yayasan Dewata
- Tagel, Wayan Edy (?), ketua Program Studi Sejarah UNUD, Thesis on Toyapakeh Islam